With the beginning of the year, I bet one of your first instincts is getting your make up right. The moisturiser is one of the most crucial components of make-up and getting it wrong could bring about not so desirable results to your eventual facial look.
There is an overwhelming variety of brands and even type out there that can send you into confusion if you do not exactly know what you are looking for. Today I would like to share with you some tips on how to get yourself a face. Our faces need a moisturizer at least once a day for normal skin and twice for dry skin.
Significance of Moisturizers
- Help to keep our faces radiant,
- prevents and treats dry skin,
- masks imperfections
- Improves our skin tone and texture.
Depending on your skin type, you can use face creams, lotions or ointments as your moisturizer. For you to get the moisturizer, you need to consider the following tips:
- If you have dry skin, heavy moisturizers are the best for you. By heavy I mean it contains ingredients like dimethicone and hyaluronic. Other ingredients like lanolin, mineral oil and petrolatum help to lock in moisture and others like glycerine, proteins, urea and propylene glycol help to attract water to your skin. With dry skin you need to avoid moisturizers containing alcohols and acids as they may irritate your skin.
- If you have normal skin, water-based, balanced moisturizers are best. Thinner creams can work for this type of skin as they hydrate.
- For oily skin, you need to look for a moisturizer that will not clog your pores, like one that contains alpha-hydroxyl acid. The moisturizer should be non-comedogenic (that doesn’t block pores, also known as non-occlusive).
- Apply your moisturizer when your skin is damp.
- Look for moisturizers that contain sunscreen with an SPF higher than 15.
- To prevent facial acne avoid moisturizers that contain shea butter, mineral oil, lanolin or waxes as they clog your pores.
- Avoid moisturizers with colours and that are scented.
- If you have sensitive skin type you need to visit a dermatology for best advice.
It can be an excellent idea to note down somewhere the precise ingredients that you are seeking in your moisturiser to have an easier time in your selection.
Thank you for reading, have a wonderful day! xx